St. Saviour Church
Pedro Gurriarán Daza, Salvador Garcia Villalobos, Nataša Ivanišević
St. Saviour Church (Crkva Svetog Spasa) is a small votive church located in Dubrovnik's Old Town on the main street, Placa or Stradun. The church has one nave with a Gothic-cross-ribbed vault. The lateral windows are also Gothic with the typical pointed arches. Nevertheless, the main facade with the Renaissance elements on the portal and the three-leaf semicircular top as well as the semicircular apse reveal a recognizable Renaissance style.
Following an earthquake on 17 May 1520, which damaged many buildings in the city, the Senate of Dubrovnik Republic commissioned a new church as a sign of gratitude for sparing the city from even bigger destruction. The monumental inscription above the main entrance on the front facade testifies to this. Designed by the architect Petar Andrijić from Korčula, construction started in 1520 and the church was completed in 1528.
In 1667 Dubrovnik was hit again by a disastrous earthquake which killed some 5,000 citizens and destroyed much of the city. However, St. Saviour Church withstood the disaster so it can be seen today in its original form, as a fine example of the town's Renaissance architecture.
The architectural survey of the St. Saviour Church was made in agreement with the Institute for Restoration of Dubrovnik, the Conservation Department of Ministry of Culture in Dubrovnik and the Diocese of Dubrovnik in order to collect documentation of the existing condition of the church. In August 2009, field surveys, geodetic and laser measurements of the church were carried out, followed by digital data processing and drawing of plans. In the first half of 2010, detailed photogrammetric drawings of the facade of the church were completed and submitted in September 2010 to the Institute for Restoration of Dubrovnik and Conservation Department in Dubrovnik.